I love stories...
And I hope one day to write a story of my very own.
Recently I came across this little video which is the introduction to the book “Moominland Midwinter” by Tove Jansson: https://youtu.be/7HCceZMp4wI
The actual book tells the story of ‘Moomintroll’ who woke up early from the hibernation period that he and his family embark on each year throughout the harsh winter.
Moomintroll can’t get back to sleep, so he decides to stay awake for the remainder of the winter season.
He becomes increasingly more and more angry at the sun’s absence, at the winter snowstorms - and at those who seem able to enjoy rather than resent the season of mid-winter.
This story - as most fairy stories do - holds vast amounts of learning!!
This story for me, especially during another lockdown deep in midwinter, reminds me of the lessons that can be learned if we choose:
- Learning to live with uncertainty
- How we sometimes have to get lost before we can truly find ourselves
- Surrendering to the rhythms of life rather than resisting them.
Let’s surrender to the rhythm of midwinter and move ever so slowly out of hibernation (the pandemic is certainly helping us with this!!!)
Here are some of the things I’ve been doing recently, moving gently into my day:
- Rising before the rest of the household.
- Lighting a candle for a time before switching on the lights.
- Having a bath or shower in candlelight. You don’t just have to do this at night!
- Listening to soothing music as I work.
- Nourishing myself throughout the day with hot drinks, soups and stews.
Taking naps if I need to. If I’m working I might take a nap instead of a walk after I’ve eaten. I trust my flow.
I don’t allow myself to get caught up in the ‘shoulds’ of new year resolutions.
In essence, I’m still resting and nourishing myself just as Mother Nature is all around me.
Remember spring is just around the corner.
Until then my friend, keep cozy, keep snuggling in.
Sending all my love and warm midwinter light...